Is your MLT appt coming up? Here are some helpful tips before and after your procedure. You should have received our handout by now, if not, email Shar for a copy.
The MonaLisa Touch device is changing lives as it treats the common symptoms of the Genitourinary Syndrome of Menopause (GSM) including vaginal dryness, painful sex and even mild stress urinary incontinence. If you haven’t heard of the MLT, you can read more here. However, for best outcome make sure you follow all the instructions before and after your scheduled procedure.
Come in Ready:
- Shower or bathe the morning of treatment, so that the area to be treated is clean
- Closely clip or trim long pubic hair
- If you have a history of genital Herpes, let the office know so you can start acyclovir before treatment. An active Herpes lesion will require cancellation of your treatment
- Discontinue use of any vaginal creams and lubricants for 48 hours prior to treatment
- Avoid sexual intercourse for 48 hours prior to treatment
- Remove any intravaginal devices (estrogen ring, diaphragm etc)
- Area must be clean and dry without any traces of creams, lotions, lubricants or other substances that may reduce the efficacy of the treatment (EMLA cream will be completely wiped away by physician before treatment)
- Apply the prescribed EMLA cream, generously, to the labia minora and majora about 30 minutes before your appointment time. If you prefer, our office will apply for you but it will require 15-20 minutes of application time before treatment can be performed.
What will happen immediately after your treatment:
- Depending on your condition, a cold gel pack will be placed in the treated area
Instructions for after your treatment (first 24 hours):
- Skin may feel sensitive and may be red and swollen and treated area may be itchy
- Avoid using hot water on the treated area while skin is sensitive
- Gently cleanse the area 2-3 times a day with warm water or a mild cleanser
- As needed, for comfort:
- You can take up to 600 mg of ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) every 6 hours
- You can apply a cold compress as needed
- You can protect the area from friction by applying Aquafor or Vaseline
Instructions for after your treatment (first week):
- Avoid vigorous physical exercise and sexual intercourse for 2-4 days after treatment
- Wear loose, cotton underwear
- Avoid wearing panty hose and tight-fitting pants
El Camino Women’s Medical Group offers the latest Minimally Invasive Solutions for gynecologic problems. Drs. Amy Teng, Erika Balassiano, and Pooja Gupta, all members of AAGL (American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopy) are highly trained and experienced in the field of Minimally Invasive Gynecgologic Surgery. Dr. Erika Balassiano is also completed a Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Surgery Fellowship, under the supervision of world-renowned Dr. Camran Nezhat.
Serving Mountain View, Los Altos, Los Altos Hills, Atherton, Palo Alto, Redwood City, Burlingame, Saratoga, Cupertino, Sunnyvale, Los Gatos, Campbell, San Jose, Santa Clara, Silicon Valley, Milpitas, Fremont, South Bay, East Bay and North Bay.